Firstly, the three words even say about something true. For example:
- You must say directly what's happened.
- I told him straight what I thought of him.
- She answered my question frankly.
- "Directly" is used when you want to tell something exactly. You mustn't add anything (although it's true) not relating to it (including your opinion). I mean it must be objective!
- "Straight" is used when you want to express your clear opinion about something. You don't wonder when you say straight and that is what you think.
- "Frankly" is used when you want to say something honestly. In an other way, you don't lie anything. "Frankly" contains more emotion than the others. There's no doubt here.
Secondly, I will show additional meaning of each word:
- Frankly, I find that you are getting fatter.
- You must go straight home when you finish your work.
- I will send it to you directly.
- "Frankly" expresses that you really thought about something before you say it.
- "Straight" means that you do it immediately, right now and without delay
- "Directly" tells you know that there's nothing between.
Goodbye, see ya!
Regards!
@nh7u
2 Comments:
Thank you, Mr Toan. I'll think of your comment!
In communications:
they can be different from one another, in the below examples:
Directly:
E.g.: "Did you tell him to go?" "Not directly, no."
"Anh có bảo anh ta đi không?" "Nói thẳng ra như thế thì không." (nếu là ngụ ý / ngầm ý / gợi ý thì có.)
Straight:
E.g.: "Just be straight with her and tell her how you feel."
"Cứ thẳng thắn với cô ấy và bảo cho cô ấy biết cậu cảm thấy thế nào." (không cần quanh co, dài dòng.)
Frankly:
E.g.: "She spoke very frankly about her experiences."
"Cô ấy nói rất thành thật về các kinh nghiệm của cô ấy." (không giấu giếm điều gì.)
or they can be in common with one another: these 3 verbs can be used interchangably when one wants to say something bare to smbd's face
May I, on this occasion, introduce to you / remind you of "Bluntly". "To speak bluntly" = "Nói toẹt / toạc / trắng ra."
Post a Comment