Saturday, September 19, 2009

"Believe" & "Believe in"

Any difference?

6 Comments:

Anonymous said...

In my opinion, there is no different between believe and believe in. Because I've seen people use them both in the same situation, and in Vietnamese I think there is a couple of terms that have the same meaning:"tin" and "tin ở"

mi mi said...

Tho Anh! In my opinion, there is some differences between them.
1. "Believe" is a verb meanwhile " believe in" is a phrase verb.
2. About how to use,
- "Believe" is often used in the form [ V (that)] ----> means:
+ feel certain
+ think possible
+ have opinion
+ be surprised/annoyed
- "Believe in [sb/sth]" is used when you:
+feel that certain that sb.sth exists---> e.g: Do you believe in the God?
+[sb]feel that you can trust sb and/or they will be successful--->~ trust
+[sth]think that sth is good, effective,right or acceptable --->
e.g: Do you believe in capital punishment?
So, you can't use it as the same meaning. Be careful to use " believe" and "believe in".
Brgds.

toan said...

Well-done, Mi.

Anonymous said...

Mimi
Thanks for giving me exact meaning of them and teaching me how to use them correctly. this problem I haven't ever thought before and as a result I used them without carefulness. Correcting small mistakes makes us more English or American ;))

Tú Phình said...

Yeah! Mi's right!. I always use "believe that" and "believe in" but never only "believe". It help me avoid mistake :))
PS: I think you should do like me ;))

toan said...

To sum things up, here is an example:

1. If you believe your doctor, that means that you think what your doctor tells you is valid and true.

2. If you believe in your doctor, that means that you have great faith in his or her expertise, that you have no doubt that he or she will always do the right thing by you, etc.

or

Believe = tin
&
Believe in = tin tưởng