Monday, September 28, 2009

If you don't run your own life, somebody else will.

If you don't run your own life, somebody else will.
-- John Atkinson

6 Comments:

mi mi said...

Nếu bạn không vận hành cuộc đời bạn, người khác sẽ làm nó.
As I understand, the author want to say that: " Bạn phải có trách nhiệm với cuộc đời bạn. Cuộc đời bạn là do bạn quyết định, đứng để người khác quyết định cuộc đời của bạn thay bạn". Am I right? :D

Tú Phình said...

Yeah, Mi. I think so and I want to add a more idea is that: "when you don't decide you life as the way you want, it won't stand by. It will still moving forward but as the way you may dislike" So, as you said, do not let other people decide your life and you must do it to be yourself.
A meaningful quote! Thanks, Mr Toan.

toan said...

In this sentence:
1. "to run" = "to be in control of"
2. "to run one's life " = "to organize the way one lives and works".

toan said...

You should also bear in mind that when you are trying to run your own life you've got to make sure that it is run in the best / most appropriate way:
1. "running your own life" doesn't mean ignoring opinions from people around.
2. "running your own life" does mean you must be positively sure you know how to run it.
3. "best way" is not only for a short period of time, but also in the long run.

mi mi said...

I try to translate again. Hope the following translation is better than the last.
" Nếu bạn không tự sống cuộc đời của chính bạn, người khác sẽ làm điều đó thay bạn."

toan said...

Nếu bạn không tự nắm lấy vận mệnh cuộc đời bạn thì sẽ có người khác làm điều đó.