Sunday, September 27, 2009

F&B - Salty - 01

Do you know the name of this famous Vietnamese dish? Do you like it? Can you explain how it is cooked?

3 Comments:

mi mi said...

1.:)As I know, it's called noodles soup with beef, if you want me to named it an English name. I'm not satisfied with this name because of the word "noodle" which don't show raw materials used to make the food exactly. Thus, we should call it as the name "phở with beef".
2.Now, I'm going to give you some information about this famous Vietnamese dish. Hope you all enjoy it.
-Phở is the most popular food among the population. Phở is mostly commonly eaten for breakfast, although many other people would have it for their lunch or dinner. Anyone feeling hungry in the small hours of the morning can also enjoy a bowl of hot and spicy Phở to fill their empty stomach.
-Phở also needs its special taste and smell. The grated rice paper is made of the best variety of fragrant rice called Gạo Tẻ.
- The soup for Phở Bò (Phở with beef) is made by stewing the bones of cows and pigs for a long time in a large pot. Pieces of fillet together with several slices of ginger are reserved for a bowl of Phở Bò Tái (rare fillet). Slices of well done meat are however offered to those less keen on eating rare fillets.
- Meanwhile soup for Phở Gà (Phở with chicken meat) is made by stewing together chicken and pig bones. White chicken meat served with Phở Gà is boneless and cut into thin slices.
- You could regard Phở Bò and Phở Gà as Vietnam's special soup. It has the added advantage of being convenient to prepare and healthy to eat.
3.About how it is cooked, I've just mentioned in the food introduction, but only in the very simple way. Cooking it seems to be very easy if you have some Vietnamese special materials that are put to the broth.
- First, you must process the broth. As I said, the soup for Phở Bò (Phở with beef) is made by stewing the bones of cows and pigs for a long time in a large pot.
- Then, you put into this soup some anise flowers, cinnamon pieces, some thin slice ginger and yellow onion that are all fried roughly to make it smell strong. In that way, you will have a pot of fragrant soup ready for sousing.
- After that, you scald thin slice fillet beef with the soup, and then put it into a large bowl with the noodle ( bánh phở).
- The last step is souse soup on the noodle.

Great! It's ready for tasting. Have a good meal!

Tú Phình said...

Mi, you have a good analysis of "Pho". It's so detailed but I still want to support some ideas about the way to make the broth better (because I think broth is the most important part in a bowl of Pho):
- After you boil your bones with water to 100 degree centigrade, you get them out, and make clear by cold water. Then you get rid of red and yellow marrow inside the bones. To continue, you stew them again with necessary spice.
- During stewing process, you should make the broth clear (it's called bouillon) by getting rid of the foam(do it several hours a time).
- You should also put some beets into broth. It will make your broth more tasty and help you get rid of much foam.
!!!Remember that when you put noodle into your bowl too much, the broth will be getting cold quicker. Let the broth inundate (over surface) your noodle.
That's all my idea about Pho. Actually, I really like Pho, but there's no good place near my house to enjoy a pure one. So, I have rarely eaten Pho recently. I only eat Pho when I go somewhere far away from home. Why don't we go out eating Pho someday. So delicious. I'm craving for it. Haha...

mi mi said...

You come back.haha. This make our blog more lively. Thanks for your complement. "Go out eating Pho someday", a great idea! :))